Thursday, September 29, 2022

mpd3

pleased to report 
  that practically 
everyone 
  in this town 
smokes Camels...

I get a red 99 from a 67ish 
  man in the smokers’ corral 
at Asti,, he says I have
  cool style 
people freak out
  when I put on the
white cowboy boots

his friend said
  WE’RE TALKING
ABOUT THE
  TWILIGHT ZONE

yeah buddy
  I say back then 
find another merely
  10% smoked Merit
on the pavement
  I'll disinfect it 
in the sun
  reassure them

67ish was wearing 
  a polo and the crispiest
white vans with tall socks
  I have ever seen
you look like you just 
  stepped off a yacht
I tell him and
  he seems pleased

I walk slow
  along the levee
stopping to sit on
  the bumpy ground
for a bit because 
  I am still
unemployed

-Salad sounds good. Do you
  think you'll be her by 7 pm?
texts Grandma
  a frayed black tarp
billows up revealing
  a blue Harley on 
the back of a truck

-Not quite
  -Taking it real slow
-Sitting by the river 
  it's so pretty
the Merit is harsh
  and bitter

-really?
  -Yes ma'am
-You sound like a woman who
  want to escape

I send the shrug
  then peace dove 
emojis

I stop at Blinken's 
  cottage on my dad's 
property to pick some 
  tomatoes 
he says just the person 
  I wanted to see! Cos 
I found this for you--
  and hands me a newspaper
clipping of an article
  called "The Follow Up"
about job interviews

I suggest we split 
  a beer and ask for 
just a baby sized glass 
  we poke around 
the half bolted 
  raised beds as the 
sun starts to set