Friday, July 14, 2023

girl go




around the edges she's still with me
my soul external
like peter pan's shadow
tripping up the stairs
lagging behind
girl, go
anywhere you want to
thirteen years later 
crying to this song in my cubicle
she's still with me my soul 
lagging behind the others
I know my place 
leave life to the living
I still can't claw my way
into 3 dimensions
or suspend disbelief
long enough to stay there

mirror to my nearing birthday
with Grandma Rebecca's sudden passing
I'm turning 30, she was about 3 times that 
photos of her as a young girl
the sparkle in her black eyes
I know her, I want to know her
the pain and fantasy in her heart just then
her soul and how it corresponds to my own

girl, go
anywhere you want to
wondering about 
herding cattle
knowing geography
hopping trains
shows and lovers and parties
finishing books 
drugs 
working summer jobs
fixing my own car
playing in a band

girl, go
around the edges I'm done
over being lost 
with my selective memory
irreverence and rootlessness
dear diary this
isn't a poem