Monday, January 6, 2020

walk sign is on to cross

following him on his trash route
x
x
long pause at the corner of Landsdowne 
and Baltimore 
diagonal sun
crosswalk chirping
wait
wait
there is quite a lot of litter
by the bus stop
I try to follow 
not too close
but I couldn’t be more conspicuous
funky skirt bold scarf
jangly accessories
dawdling as only 
a hipster can
what is a poem more than
hot pink plastic ribbon 
looped through a fence
waving
a mennonite construction worker
with a bowl cut stares
    $ A STAR $
     BAZAAR
      SO MANY 
    VENDORS
       UNDER 
        ONE
        ROOF
but the lights off
it's all closed on this Monday
Landshutdowne Ave
I lean on the parking meter
cars run over my tall
3 o'clock shadow
someone says shadow 
on a speakerphone call
I catch it through 
the open window 
of their car passing
    Jesus = the Light of
   the World Reflect 
          that Light! 
  Have a Blessed 2020
written in chalk by hand
the last half of the route 
is going east on Baltimore
towards the skyline like 
the Emerald City again
church bells for 3:30 pm
moon white 
on the center
of the blue sky
like a fruit sticker
layer upon layer 
of chipped&faded 
lavender paint on 
a metal pole
trophies in the 
window of a martial 
arts studio
I don't need much
all I ask is just
park me in the sun