Monday, May 28, 2018

ptsd





I try to distract myself
list kinds of flowers I like
learn to play that song
drive with the Saturday morning ragas blasting
is the mugwort drying on my dash dangerous
to dream while operating heavy machinery
park & walk through shade patch
to sun spot
another way to say
dappled


I like the back parking lots 
that secretly link all the shops
stop and lean against the sharp stucco corner of a building
finish listening to the funny song we wrote
before going into the thrift store
white skirt, doesn't hurt
squint into the intersection and laugh to myself


straighten your spine
like the stem of a flower in water
find your breath
like a friend in the crowd
I try to apply the old answers
to all my new questions
pretending they are the same as ever
but my stomach nags me