Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Layer Cake/Cave

I was painting cakes
in broad dripping strokes
mixing in too much linseed
sharing a lollipop with 3 friends
elbows jostling in the pool
fish washing up on the shore
we had to catch them or starve

positing visions
of Post and Pre
in the covid morning
on the covid street
in the covid rain
near a covid neighbor
wearing covid shoes
covid days and 
covid nights

mom says need cash
wire money please if you 
can Western Union online 
I am pregnant with twins
I have shelter for the night
just me, my car, and my 
surviving parakeet
I can't look/close the door

pre I was ready to let myself grow
now the scariest thing
is that I could stay the same
sitting perfectly still in my bedroom
on the edge of my discipline
while those who played team sports
sprint on in the safe known vehicles
of their summer camp bodies
I might just slip dormant
into the center of time
and fully un-live my tiny life