Saturday, September 10, 2022

hi


after half a year of
psychic frostbite
I find myself abruptly 
spilled open like a 
cherry cordial

tears befall me here
and now then and 
there again
throughout the day
warm and soft like 
the bathtub Atlantic

I walk to the beach
stopping at the Brady’s
Yacht Club plastic 
white patio fence
to get a cigarette from 
a man who offers me 
a choice of Newport
or Marb Lite

I go sit in the sand
lightly scolding myself
for the passing thought 
that the beach is like
one enormous ashtray
silly girl, bad
now best say sorry 
to our maker

sorry :) it was a joke
I will quit when I’m 30
& thank you
for so suddenly and 
lovingly topping 
off my glass

how awful 
was that great
hermitude
it felt so 
sincerely endless
but was just
a long bad 
dream

I’ll never again forget
that family friendship
love comfort
privacy
emotions
and daydreams
are an utter
privilege 
to have in surplus
the way I do

cry me a river
that leads to 
your ocean
but happily
this time