Saturday, July 7, 2018

SC










The straw lifeguard hat I bought for him 
hanging off of the seat in front of me
I look at it sadly like who am I
Buying hats for who?

A bike ride with my dad in Santa Cruz
Behind him breaking too much of a sweat
this place that was made for humans to be
Harbors and tiny beaches swooping by
Smelling like eucalyptus, honeysuckle
bonfires burning in the sand 
The air always the softest temp
For whatever activity 

The things I know don’t distance me enough
From this group of people 
Why do I feel so separate?
Lucia disturbs me
her fixation and memories
insular, obsessive
She needs it more than any of us 
To recount specific stories in embarrassing detail

my sister and cousin trade tales of doing badly in school 
like comparing battle scars
I never got any Fs! I graduated! 
I want to cover Adele’s ears
The grandeur of the house 
makes me feel like a failure 










**********




The sun is strong already walking from the parking lot to the center 
My foggy congested head is like a fish tank
reflecting the light wavy and quiet 
Bobbing blinded down the street
Reminds me of traveling with Lucia in 2010
Clean and leisurely yet anxious
The smell of cheap Italian shampoo
Different than American cheap shampoo