Tuesday, September 23, 2014

screen


one of the trails off madison way
not up to the water towers
but down to the park
actually led to Montclair
"I can't believe
Dennis actually lives in montclair"
I know it's crazy
he lives in one of those houses
that I used to go to
to feed other people's cats
and get paid
50 cents
an old house with poor lighting
an overgrown garden
a kitchen with a wooden floor
painted a dusty strawberry
lots of mail and
newspapers and
reading glasses

I was sitting around the living room
it was nighttime
the entire place smelled
like the the liter box
and granola infused
cardboard
one fluorescent lightbulb
illuminated my Ma
sitting on the damp couch
next to her friend Mark
Dennis was busying himself
in the kitchen

I noticed the front door was ajar
so I thoughtfully went to go shut it
immediately there was resistance
I expected this to happen
as soon as I had the idea
to shut the door
the man on the other side
won the fight
he clumsily slithered in
and grabbed me
I was looking at my Ma
but she wasn't looking at me
but it's so bright in here
I thought